A & J Johnson Constructions Pty Ltd

A & J Johnson Constructions Pty Ltd - Fully Registered & Insured - Building Beautiful, well crafted, unique homes. Based on Phillip Island, Victoria Australia

A & J Johnson Constructions Pty Ltd is a proud local and family owned building and construction business based on Phillip Island.   New Homes, Renovations, Extensions, Decks, Pergolas, Bathroom Renovations, Kitchen Renovations, Permits & Plans - We have had over 20 years building and renovating various styles of homes. 
We work with some of the best Architects, Draftsmen and designers in Australia and have the most fantastic crew of local trades experts. We can help you create one of the most beautiful homes all designed to fit your budget. Builder Phillip Island Cowes Australia

Filtering by Tag: Owner Builder

Changes to Building Laws - Consumer Alert - September 2016

As a fully registered and Insured Building Practitioner, Ashley stays up to date with the latest building regulations and rules on building a new home or renovating existing ones. The Industry is in the process of being overhauled and we applaud the State Government for getting tougher on those unqualified tradespeople building illegally and undercutting those who work hard to stay registered, insured and qualified to carry out building works.  Those signing up consumers as "owner builders" will from September face serious fines for carrying out work without registration and without proper notification to the VBA.

From 1 September 2016, builders entering into a major domestic building contract will be required to provide owners with a Domestic Building Consumer Guide approved by Consumer Affairs Victoria (CAV) before the contract is signed. 

The Consumer Guide provides information to owners of their rights and responsibilities, the role of the builder and the requirement that the owner appoint the building surveyor. 

The CAV check list that must be included in all major domestic building contracts has also been updated to ensure that the appointment of the building surveyor is done so by the owner. You should not enter in to a contract without the owner first appointing the building surveyor. 

Builders must give owners a copy of the Consumer Guide and the owner should complete the check list prior to entering into a major domestic building contract. 

HIA is currently in the process of amending its standard contracts to include the Consumer Guide and updated check list. 

For further information about the Consumer Guide and the checklist, and to obtain copies of these documents, please visit the CAV website at: 


Other changes from 1 September 2016

A number of other changes from the Bill will commence from 1 September 2016. These include: 

 The Victorian Building Authority (VBA) being responsible for the registration of builders, replacing the Building Practitioners Board. 

 Builders will need to renew their builders’ registration every 5 years. 

 A new show cause process for disciplining builders will be implemented which gives the VBA the power to immediately suspend builders for serious misconduct. 


From 4 July 2016 the VBA's inspection powers will be extended to include owner-built sites. The powers include:

  • entering land and/or dwellings under certain circumstances to examine work for compliance
  • requiring a person (including an owner-builder) to produce certain documents on request
  • making copies of documents
  • requiring a person (including an owner-builder) to provide certain information on request.

The new domestic building dispute conciliation process is not expected to commence until early 2017. This reform will include powers for dispute resolution orders to be given by a government official to resolve the dispute. 

For further information please contact your Workplace Adviser

on 1300 650 620

Thinking of going Owner Builder....you may want to rethink that!

Thinking of building as an owner-builder?

With owner-building continuing to be a popular option among homeowners, it’s essential that tradespeople and practitioners and the public are aware of their obligations when it comes to carrying out work as owner-builders.
Whether you are carrying out building work for an owner-builder or a homeowner, the requirements are the same – all domestic building work costing a total of more than $5000 (including labour and building materials) must be carried out by a registered building practitioner and a major domestic building contract must be in place with the owner.
Unregistered tradespeople cannot carry out building work for owner-builders or other homeowners if the total cost of the work is more than $5000.
When an owner-builder employs a registered building practitioner to complete work costing more than $16,000, the practitioner will need to take out domestic building insurance cover, just as they would with any other client. This will cover the owner in case the builder dies, disappears, becomes insolvent, or fails to comply with a VCAT or Court Order issued on or after 1 July 2015.
Anyone who carries out building work when they are unregistered, does not provide a compliant major domestic building contract or does not have the required insurance, may face prosecution or disciplinary action for offences under the Building Act 1993.
For further information on owner-builder requirements visit the VBA website.

Copyright - All Rights Reserved 2015 . A & J Johnson Constructions Pty Ltd ABN 17 118 101 438. PO Box 499, Cowes, VIC 3922, Phillip Island Australia.  Houses Logo protected by International Trademark. Website by Jo Johnson